Is MS-DOS, PC DOS and DR-DOS vintage enough to count?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jul 31 13:49:58 CDT 2016

On 07/31/2016 11:21 AM, jim stephens wrote:

> Windows 98 switched to protected mode almost immediately on boot,
> and all the dos boxes were synthesized in virtual 8086 mapped mode,
> and had no underlying booted dos environment.

I'm not sure that I follow here.  I routinely use Win98SE for my DOS
tasks--it boots into DOS quite nicely if you edit the MSDOS.SYS file to
say BootGUI=0.   You get MS-DOS 7.1 at boot.  Add DOSLFN to your
CONFIG.SYS and you even get long filename support.

That's DOS in its unvarnished form, isn't it?

What am I missing?

--Chuck