TU58 yet one more time

shadoooo shadoooo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:04:42 CDT 2016

Hello,
I would need some clarification about the Plastibands, as I will have to find a suitable replacement for the belt,
as ALL my cartridges need a replacement, after removing the old one without causing the infamous blank-spot.

Al, please could you clarify which size / brand of (Baumgarten) plastibands did you use for the TU58 cassette?

Mark, I'm not sure that a wider belt would work better, maybe worse. In fact pulley / belt mechanisms usually work with
pulleys that have a bigger diameter near the center than on the sides, resulting slightly convex.
Because of physical friction forces, an "unbiased" flat belt will always remain exactly in the center of the pulleys.
If a cylindrical pulley will be used, this effect will not be present, so the belt will slide off the pulleys.
On TU58 as in DC100 tapes AFAIK the belt is narrow, maybe abound the half the width of the pulleys.

Thanks
Andrea

http://www.amazon.com/Baumgartens-8-inch-Plastibands-BAUSF5000-Assorted/dp/B0008GIKQW