PDP-11/94-E

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 1 12:22:48 CDT 2016

On 01/06/2016 16:27, Henk Gooijen wrote:
> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Rod Smallwood Sent: Wednesday,
> June 01, 2016 1:02 AM To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic
> Posts Subject: PDP-11/94-E
> Hi
>       I'm trying to get my 11/94 running. Its a hybrid having both Q
> and Unibus. The CPU card  has a KDJ11-E
> 18Mhz processor with 4Mb ram and six serial ports plus the console on
> board. Apart from a voltage monitor card
> that's all there is in the Qbus section.
> Between the Q and Unibus sections is a special  convertor card
> (KTJ-11B UNIBUS adapter.)
> After the KTJ-11B I have one slot with an RX211 8in floppy controller
> in it.
> All of the other slots have bus grant cards except the last one that
> has a terminator card and a MLM card.
> On switch on the console display comes up. Whilst it performs the same
> functions as the one in the manual
> it looks different. What ever I do by way of setting up devices I
> can't get it to talk to the RX211.
> it just says No Controller.
>
> Ideas anybody?
> Rod Smallwood
>
> ---------
> I have to do this from memory as all my systems "live" 9 km away ...
> Both 84 and 94 in that box are very similar. The first 4 (5?) slots
> are QBUS,
> the rest is UNIBUS. The slot between the QBUS and UNIBUS is where the
> converter is supposed to be.
> In the 84, all memory would go in the QBUS slots, but with the 94, I
> guess
> the QBUS slots will be empty, because *all* memory is on-board the 94.
>
> However, most right slot (seen from the front) in the QBUS section is a
> module that, among others, has the system voltages and monitoring.
> On *that* board are all NPR/NPG (CA1-CB1) "jumpers" for the UNIBUS
> slots. Actually they are DIP switches.
> The RX211 must have the NPR/NPG open. Check the documention
> which DIP switch must be set in the correct position.
> However, not sure if that would cause the RX211 to be "invisible".
>
> Can you check the RX211 in another UNIBUS system?  See whether its
> CSR responds. Also, check the configuration of the RX211. It might be
> set to a different CSR ...
>
> - Henk

Thanks Henk
                    You are quite correct.  Its are laid out exactly as
you describe and as in the manual.
There is a monitoring card next to the cpu connected by a few black
wires on a plug.
There nothing in the next slot because as you comment that's where the
PMI is.
Next we have the Uni/Q bus converter followed by the RX02 interface card
then
three bus grant  cards  and in the last slot a minimum load card at one
end and a unibus terminator at the other ( as per the manual.)

I have found one issue the TOY battery needs changing . I  don't have 3v
cell  I can make something from
two 1.5v cells.
Can you confirm the RX02 controller is not DMA ie polled and the npr
strap for that slot does need removing.
You get at it underneath The straps are held on  with screws according
to the PDP-11/94-E manual.

At switch on it does now go into the monitor screen where you can choose
List Diagnostic etc.
However regardless of what you type it goes to the main setup screen.
You can go the different setups and save the changes.

So what would prevent it going to say the list function and defaulting
to the setup screen?

Regards

Rod