Heathkit ETA-3400 vs. ETW-3400 confusion?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:58:24 CDT 2016

@Tom & All,

"In following this thread, and taking in my "vast" Heathkit knowledge, I
can only assume that the addition of a 'W' in the model number is to
indicate a WIRED (at the factory) Heathkit."

Fair enough, and it's as good a suggestion as anything heard so far. But
again, you're confusing the (very easily confused) model names..

The ET-3400 and ET-3400A are the original "trainer" kits. These are the
main computer module, with a calculator-style keyboard, 7-segment LED
display, and either 512 bytes or 1KB RAM memory. I believe that the later
'A' version also includes the 4MHz crystal-controlled system clock upgrade,
in addition to the larger RAM size.

The expansion modules are confusingly called out as ETA-3400 (note, not
ET-3400A) and ETW-3400. It's these latter two distinctions that are the
cause of my (and apparently, much) confusion. But your suggestion that the
'W' substitution refers to a factory-wired unit makes good sense, at least
in this case - because my ETW-3400 seems to have been factory built.

It doesn't have any of the tell-tale signs of kit assembly. For instance,
it appears that the board has been wave soldered and washed of flux. The
rest of the workmanship gives the same impression of factory-quality
assembly.

So maybe that's all there is to it? The ETA-3400 is kit form, and the
ETW-3400 is factory built?