Informer 213 terminal - 3274 / 3178 compatible ?

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:50:11 CDT 2016

> does have a Rockwell modem board in it.
>
> I did find an old Computerworld ad from 1989 which matched. Informer 213 -
> emulating a 3274 control unit with an attached 3178 mod 2 terminal.
> Someone with IBM knowledge might share what that means and how the
> terminal can be used.

Reading the add it looks like you need a dial-up SDLC (that’s synchronous data) link into a mainframe with a telecoms controller running VTAM, l which I guess is as rare as hens teeth these days.
When you get to the set up menu's can you check if  it can run bi-sync as that might be hackable, providing a suitable synchronous modem can be found.

> Anyway. I put together a webpage on the thing:
> http://www.datormuseum.se/peripherals/terminals/informer-213
>
> /Mattis

Dave
G4UGM