Quadra 660AV what's with the "PowerPC" label?

Brendan Shanks brendan at bslabs.net
Mon Jun 13 11:43:21 CDT 2016

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 9:30 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The weird thing about this machine is that it says "PowerPC" right on the
> front, but it's *NOT* a PPC. It's most definitely a 25Mhz 040'. I wonder
> why that's there? Maybe the guy took the badge from another system, but I
> don't think so. This was the original owner. I also wonder why this one is
> called a "Quadra" when I know I used to have a 660AV that was a "Centris".
> Wikipedia seems to imply it was just a marketing name change only.
> However, the article also mentions that most of the Quadras don't have a
> floppy with motorized eject. Well, this one does. Perhaps it was replaced.
> I just wonder what's up with these little nuances.

Where is the PowerPC label? Is it printed on the case underneath the floppy drive (like it is on the 6100), or a sticker put somewhere else? Maybe the machine once had a PPC upgrade installed and the sticker was put on.

I’ve seen pictures of some Centris 660AVs that had the auto-inject floppy, but I assumed that by the Quadras they were all manual-inject. My family had a Quadra 660AV bought in early ’94, it had a manual-inject floppy drive and caddy CD-ROM drive.

Brendan