Quadra 660AV what's with the "PowerPC" label?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon Jun 13 12:33:08 CDT 2016

> The weird thing about this machine is that it says "PowerPC" right on the
> front, but it's *NOT* a PPC. It's most definitely a 25Mhz 040'. I wonder
> why that's there? Maybe the guy took the badge from another system, but I
> don't think so. This was the original owner. I also wonder why this one is
> called a "Quadra" when I know I used to have a 660AV that was a "Centris".
> Wikipedia seems to imply it was just a marketing name change only.
> However, the article also mentions that most of the Quadras don't have a
> floppy with motorized eject. Well, this one does. Perhaps it was replaced.
> I just wonder what's up with these little nuances.

I think there's a simple explanation: someone recycled the case from a 6100.
You could easily pry the label from the old one off and glue on the new one.

> My plan is to run A/UX on the Quadra 700 and MacOS 8.1 on the 660AV. Right
> now I have everything in pieces. I'm waiting on another SCSI2SD to come to
> be able to set them both up. Plus, I just got the one SCSI2SD and I'm in
> the process of benchmarking it on several different OSs. I wish the US
> vendor would sell the newer (v6) board, as it's supposed to support 10MB/s
> synchronous (if your SD card can do it, and most can these days). All they
> have on Ebay right now are the older 5.x based cards (which is like the
> one I have now).

I personally run A/UX on a Quadra 800 that I clockchipped to 40MHz. That runs
it very, very nicely.

It does have a PowerPC PDS card, btw, but the PDS card does not like the CPU
being accelerated much past 38MHz.

-- Are you ready for de BIG FUN?? Yeah! -- Headmaster Kuno, "Ranma 1/2" -------