Accessing a TK50 or TK70 from RT

Lionel Johnson lionelj at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Jun 14 06:19:42 CDT 2016

On 14/06/2016 4:40 AM, Jerry Weiss wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 13/06/2016 17:20, Rod Smallwood wrote:
>>>
>>> I just had a thought is the magnet in a microwave cooker magnetron permanent or electro?
>
> A rare earth magnet savaged from a disk drive or a banned child toy (aka BuckyBalls) might be more effective.
>

> Jerry

When I worked on this gear, we kept a magnet assy from a CDC 9762 80mb
drive under the bench in a safe place, and used it to bulk-erase any
tapes as needed. The magnets from a RA81 failed cartridge are very small
and powerful, will do nicely. I keep a few in my workshop for gen duty
screw pickup, etc.

Lionel.