Cross post - Help repairing badly dented / warped sheet metal casing (Seattle)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 15 15:47:39 CDT 2016

On 06/15/2016 01:32 PM, Ian Finder wrote:
> I recently received something very special to me, a Symbolics XL1200
> LISP machine, with framethrower and the works.
>
> Despite being shipped in the original SMBX designed carton, UPS dealt
> a great deal of damage to the system. It looks like it was hit by a
> truck.
>
> This, predictably, makes me very sad.
>
> Is there anyone, preferably local, with the skill and tools to make
> this thing look a little better who can lend a hand?
>
> How do I get started undoing the dents and extremely bent base?

Find an auto restorer with an English wheel and a set of planishing
tools and dollies.  I use mine routinely on dented and wrinkled
equipment.  Other than marring the paint job, a decent repairman should
be able to bring the shape to like new.

However, this is not a job for a neophyte.  It takes some experience to
get things right.

--Chuck