CDC 6600 - Why so awesome?

Lionel Johnson lionelj at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Jun 25 06:39:41 CDT 2016

On 23/06/2016 10:54 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2016-06-23 3:20 AM, Lionel Johnson wrote:
>> I joined CDC in Melbourne, Aust in 1972, worked mostly on 3200 machines
>> - Didn't like the Cybers, but admired the horsepower. I could fix a
>> 3200, every time, that was the best training I ever had, alone with my
>> machine in Hobart, I loved it. When that ended, got into PDP 3rd party
>> maint. Thus was a career made.
>> Lionel.
>>

> Hi Lionel
>
> I heard that the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology had a 6600?
> Presumably you worked on it?
>
> --Toby

No, Toby, I didn't go to RMIT, as I was on the 3200 mntnce team, worked
out of Head Office, mostly on the road to sites around Melbourne. CSIRO
( 3 sites ) Monash Uni, and the in-house machine. Lots of 200UT calls -
usually clean and adjust throat gap on the card reader. It was better
when I transferred to Hobart,
it was all on-site at the Bureau of Stats. Best job I ever had.

Lionel.