Tough to Diagnose issue with PDP 11/40 CPU

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Wed Jun 29 19:39:01 CDT 2016

Hey Bill,

Do you have a KM11 maintenance card?  Guy Sotomayor here sells kits
and/or assembled boards at
http://www.shiresoft.com/products/km11/KM11%20Replica.html.  I built one
up myself based on a layout by Tom Uban at
http://www.ubanproductions.com/museum.html

The easiest way to get to the bottom of this since you have a nice,
short, repro case would be to step through the microcode with a KM11 and
see where it goes awry.  From that point, its fairly easy to come of up
a list of boards to swap and/or chips to check.

If you want to go to the chip checking stage, you'll need some board
extenders and a logic probe, they are pretty cheap.  Or you can grab a
surplus logic analyzer and some DIP clips off eBay if you want to get posh!

I just went through this process with my 11/45, it was pretty educational.

         --FritzM.