PDP-8/e - Front panel switch reproductions and front panel PCB?

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 2 23:33:36 CST 2016

On 02/03/2016 23:36, Glen Slick wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Vincent Slyngstad
> <v.slyngstad at frontier.com> wrote:
>> I naturally suggest mine, available at
>> http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/cad/3d.php
>>
> What, no DSSI bus ID plugs? :)
In between my adventures in Panel Land I also looked at PDP-8 switches
and other items that could be 3d printed. I came up with the following:

         1,  For replacing one or two missing switch levers 3d printing
is ideal.

         2,  I believe the plastic to be ABS

         3. For example LEGO bricks were ABS, They are now changing to a
greener type of plastic.

         4. Matching the colo(u)r might  prove interesting.

         5. For those who need larger quantities then good old injection
moulding is still the best way to go.

         6. Mould making costs used to be high but modern CNC machines
can do the job in short order.

         7. The split line on a PDP-8 lever is clearly visible. This
shows they were made in a two part mould.

         8, How many per mould were there I don't know but say ten would
not be beyond even small machines

         9. As soon as I get to a ship from stock situation on panels I
might  revisit switches.

         10. And finally .. would I trust the Chinese?  Probably not!

Rod