Early Microprocessors in Industrial Microcomputers

Randy Dawson rdawson16 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:36:34 CST 2016

I had the 'opportunity' to take apart 80's era programmable logic controllers:

Gould Modicon 584:    AMD 2901 bitslice based
TI 520, pm 550: TMS 9900 (no suprise here)
TI 565: (Motorola 68000, after designers complained to mgmt, dont force us to use ti micros)
Allen Bradley PLC2:    AMD 2901, peripherals and comm modules KF etc z-80

I knew some of the designers, when asked why the 2901, well speed of course, and second that their own microcode instruction set was 'provable' and could be man rated on these processors.

Randy