Any word on the Multics revival front?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Fri Mar 11 08:22:59 CST 2016

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:44:50PM -0500, Michael Kerpan wrote:

> When Multics was officially released as free software a couple of
> years ago, there was a flurry of activity aimed at getting some sort
> of emulator up and running to run it. Did anything ever come of that
> or did folks just lose interest (or find out that the needed
> GE/Honeywell hardware was too poorly-documented to write an emulator
> of)

I hadn't checked on Multics progress in quite a while.  Yesterday I
discovered that the DPS-8/M emulator at:

    https://SourceForge.net/projects/dps8m/

is far enough along to boot Multics.  I thought some folks on this list
might be interested in it.

Using the files from the QuickStart_MR12.6d.zip archive I managed to boot
Multics yesterday.  The README file in that archive describes how to boot
the system and sign on as Repair.SysAdmin, but not much else.  I'd never
touched a Multics system before, and didn't have time yesterday to get to
know the system.  Does anyone know of any Multics How-Tos, especially how to
shut Multics down properly?

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.