Honneywell multics? from panels. the inline phots in this message folks -smecc

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:27:02 CST 2016

Copied back to the main list….

OK on the L66 machines I worked on we always kept the doors closed, there was an application, can’t remember its name, we ran on a VDU by the system console that displayed the Job Queues, State of Active Jobs, CPU utilization etc. There was also a MIPS meter on the console. They were very modular, and as the store was in the SCU’s on a multi-cpu system you also needed cross coupled cache cables to invalidate the CPU cache when the other CPU overwrote a word in main sore that it also had cached.

Interleave was also interesting, so you could configure interleave memory word by word so alternate accesses went to the “other” SCU. A guy we had in at NERC Bidston (was www.pol.ac.uk <http://www.pol.ac.uk> ), Vince Martin I think his name was who had worked in the Honeywell performance labs, I believe in Scottsville. Arizona said this would give much better performance. He also said the big bottle neck on the L66 was memory bandwidth. With the fast 6250 BPI tapes he said the tape drives could drive the memory flat out, locking the CPU out….

Dave