Reproduction 8/e panel from Rod Smallwood

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 07:00:29 CDT 2016

I received my reproduction 8/e panel from Rod Smallwood (aka "panelman")
this week. It looks spectacular compared to the peeling paint on the
original. Rod did not drill the hole for the rotary switch because the
position varies a little depending on the revision of the switch panel. I
put the original panel on top of the new one, marked the rotary switch
location, drilled a pilot hole and successively larger holes. I had to
adjust the position of the AC power switch a little to optimize the
clearance around the switches, but that was easy.

The original panel had rubber bumpers between the panel and the front of
the chassis that I will attach to the new panel with double sided adhesive
tape. The original panel had a tapered relief at the back of the hole for
the AC power switch, but the new one does not. I will use a file or Dremel
tool to remove some of the panel material. Without the relief the panel
will get stressed near the AC switch.

Overall, the workmanship on the panel is spectacular. Now I need to repaint
the 8/e front panel frame, RX01, RK05, and TU56 so they look as nice as the
new front panel.

--
Michael Thompson