Here's what happens when an 18 year old buys a mainframe...

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 02:34:00 CDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 03:54:40PM +1300, Mike Ross wrote:
>> they were strictly 31-bit only.
>
> Dang, I suspected they were hobbled, but that's painful.
>
> mcl

Not in the least; when they were designed and built Z-Architecture
wasn't even a twinkle in a hardware engineers eye. Nothing hobbled
about them.

And by the time Z-Architecture did come alone it was no longer
necessary to use custom hardware to implement a usable mainframe CPU;
it could be emulated entirely in software - Hercules; Flex/ES; z/PDT
etc. - hence no 64-bit *hardware* successor to the P/390 was ever
built or seriously contemplated.

Mike

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'