MiST - Amiga ST FPGA + intro

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Thu Mar 31 16:53:55 CDT 2016

On 3/31/2016 2:58 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, ben wrote:
>> Well the FPGA's have the advantage of a small box, for a gaming box
>> that needs a few buttons, joystick and TV.
>
> Yes, and you can control the floppy insert/eject operations all from the
> joystick rather than needing a computer console etc...
>
>> Get them now before VIRTUAL 3D hits the market.
>
> Are you talking about folks taking tile based 2D games and running
> algorithms to 3D-ize them into "new games" ? I'm wondering why you
> connect this and the MiST ? Just curious.

No, I was thinking of the latest technology stuff that claims to give
real 3D, something like Star Trek's Holo-deck. I just heard about it
over the grape vine.

>> I am picking up a Oberon FPGA setup to see what a real OS is like. Ben.
>
> Nice! I never even thought about someone setting up an FPGA to do that.
> The same would be cool for old LISP machines or a Thinking Machines
> emulator. That'd be really interesting.

Get writing that PDP 10 emulator for LISP :)
> -Swift

I suspect the Oberon FPGA card would make a nice small PDP 10 emulator
as you get a network i/o device.

Ben.