Need info for a VAX Station 3100 SPX / VS42A-DA

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:36:09 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Pete Lancashire
<pete at petelancashire.com> wrote:
> Won the guy on the big auction site, put the minimum bid down and $50 later
> it showed up on the doorstop.
>
> http://petelancashire.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6027
>
> Sorry for the bad photo's but the sun was going down fast.
>
> Been trying to find the display interface specs, pinout, freqs, etc. but so
> far have been overwhelmed with just about everything else.
>
> Other things I guess I'll need are
>
> Also what keyboard should I be looking for ?
>
> What options do I have for an O/S ?
>
> The last time I logged into a VAX was one of many 11/780s the company I
> worked for was like 198? something.

A VAXstation 3100 series GPX (VS40X-PA) controller is supposed to have
a resolution of 1024 by 864 at 60Hz while the SPX (WS01X-GA)
controller is supposed to have a resolution of 1280 by 1024 at 66 Hz.

The color video cable 15-pin D-shell to 3-BNC cable for the SPX is the BC23J-03.

The keyboard is the common LK201.

I installed OpenVMS 7.3 on my VAXstation 3100 M76 SPX.