AW: When did Memory- and IO Protection Emerge (Esp. in Minis)?

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:06:36 CDT 2016

In the not mini but very maxi category, I just learned that IBM implemented memory protection as an RPQ (customer feature) at the request of the MIT folks that built the first IBM time sharing system (CTSS, the predecessor of Multics), on their IBM 7094. Around 1963, unless it was already implemented in the IBM 7090 which would have been 1961. At least that's my cursory understanding of it from www.multicians.org/thvv/7094.html . I was very surprised it was that early!
Marc

Sent from my iPad