ISO: Keyboard/mouse for MIPS RC2030 workstation

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:11:10 CDT 2016

On 5/15/16 10:30 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 5/14/16 12:29 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
>> Hi all --
>>
>> Got me an early MIPS workstation, an RC2030.  I'm trying to track down a keyboard and mouse for it.  The keyboard
>> connector uses an 8-pin DIN connector.  Anyone have any leads?  (Or know what the pinouts and protocol might be?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
> there is a picture of it here
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=IToEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT32&lpg=PT32&dq=mips+rc2030&source=bl&ots=UdhbMYdHZP&sig=MY1P4ipbj6PqBdoHAImi_MpuMsE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX9JvIzdzMAhVMXh4KHYsEBcAQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=mips%20rc2030&f=false
>
> looks like an AT keyboard and Logitech (serial?) mouse

You're right, that does look like your standard AT keyboard and Logitech
mouse.  I tried an AT keyboard just a couple of minutes back and it's
close, but it doesn't work properly.  The keyboard LEDs cycle while the
2030's running its (very lengthy) diagnostics but once I get to a
prompt, I get gibberish from it -- looks like the keyboard scancodes are
completely different.  (Just for fun I tried an XT keyboard and that
doesn't work at all...)

It does give me a place to start hacking, though...

Thanks!
- Josh