Issues with VT420 (was Re: LK401 Keyboard)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:05:54 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Adrian Graham
<witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/05/2016 18:21, "Aaron Jackson" <aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The terminal arrived today but unfortunately it doesn't power
>> on. I've checked the fuse and continuity of the cable...
>
> The power switch at the front was notorious for breaking because it's a
> left/right slider and people got too 'energetic'.

Agreed.  I have replaced more than one power switch on DEC terminals
from "over-frobbing".  The VT220/VT240 switch had a standard
footprint, so I was able to get a functional replacement at Radio
Shack for a few dollars.  The VT100-family can take a standard
ball-bat type toggle with brass fast-on tabs.  I'm not sure about the
switch type on the VT420, but definitely check that power is getting
through it, especially if it feels "soft" when flipping it.

-ethan