Bringing a VAX 750 and Nova from Canada to US: What to expect?

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Thu May 26 13:21:26 CDT 2016

Last year I made a day trip from Kelowna BC to Seattle Washington to pick up a Northstar Horizon, and I paid cash ($100 if I recall correctly).

When I arrived back at the border, I got the third degree about the computer. The agent didn’t believe that I would make a 14 hour round trip to pick up something worth $100 and that it must be worth much more. After much arguing and showing him emails on my phone about negotiating the purchase he decided to let me go, but warned me that next time I did something like this I should at the very minimum bring paper copies of any emails negotiating such a purchase.  Normally all my hassles at the border are at the US end, but this was on the Canadian side re-entering my own country. I was disappointed.

Ian