Need Rec: Book to teach about computers and BASIC at an eight year old level

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Fri May 27 13:43:17 CDT 2016

"Ali" <cctalk at ibm51xx.net> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book that gets the
> basic stuff out of the way (what is the CPU, memory, storage,
> etc. what are different the parts called, etc.) and maybe another one
> that teaches an intro to BASIC written for a very young reader?

Most of the Usborne books from the 80s are available on Usborne's web
site as PDFs -- "Simple BASIC" (for younger readers) or "Introduction to
Computer Programming" (for slightly older readers) might fit the bill:

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/feature-page/computer-and-coding-books.aspx

(My copy of "Write Your Own Adventure Programs" lives on my bookshelf at
work next to Knuth and K&R...)

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>