Monster 6502

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sat May 28 20:49:41 CDT 2016

On 2016-May-28, at 6:22 PM, drlegendre . wrote:

> Could someone also clarify what is meant by "gates" in this sense? Are we
> talking about the gates (G) of a FET, as in Gate, Drain and Source - or are
> we referring to the composite logic gates (NAND, etc.), built up of
> multiple bipolar - or MOS - transistors?

Yes, they're talking FET gates, the internal registers would operate under the same basic principle as DRAM does.

Other early microprocs used dynamic registers, I forget which, perhaps others can list them.

Far from the first time a processor had dynamic registers.
I've been told that the IBM 709 used inductive (rather than capacitive) storage for the main registers.