TU58 yet one more time

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:16:35 CDT 2016

tisdag 31 maj 2016 skrev Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org>:

> On 5/31/16 12:07 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:
> > tisdag 31 maj 2016 skrev shadoooo <shadoooo at gmail.com <javascript:;>>:
> >
> >> However if one
> > sacrifice the entire drive and just use the mechanics it would be really
> > dumb
>
> I don't get it. Why don't you do this with the TU58 mechanism?

Because I want it to be as generic as possible. If it is possible to move
the heads I can read tapes that are written not only by a TU58 but also on
a any DC100 compatible device.  I dont know what sort of head HP made use
of for their HP9825 and HP2645 for example.

I here compare what AJ have done with a Wangtek 5099 drive. Being able to
read a tape written by a completely different drive (DEI) by just
positionig the head correctly. The resulting data I then decoded in
software and the original tar archive was recovered. Now the encoding was
MFM in th S8000 not GCR which was used normally by the QIC-02 and SCSI
drives with nine tracks and DC300.

/Mattis