A good shipping service for large computers?

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Sat Nov 26 11:34:49 CST 2016

* Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> [161126 11:05]:
>     > From: Todd Goodman
>
>     > Did you have any issues with customs bringing in the racked equipment
>     > from Toronto?
>
> No; it just sailed right through. The fact that it was Canada->US probably
> helped.

Well, I've had problems with US Customs coming back into the US from
Canada as well (not to mention from the US into Canada but that wasn't
about computer equipment.)

> IIRC PakMail in Toronto picked a customs broker - or maybe we were talking
> about doing that, and he decided we needn't bother? I forget now.

That's good to know!

>     > Both times the carrier knew it was unpalleted computer equipment and
>     > did a good job using blankets and strapping them into the trucks.
>     > ...
>     > The other carrier did a great job .. They mostly ship antiques and
>     > pianos and other items that can be fragile and not palleted
>     > ...
>     > Both were very competitively priced in my experience.
>
> Sounds like these were both so-called 'white glove' shippers, who do things
> like furniture, etc.

Yes indeed.

> Those are also an option, but in my experience, somewhat more expensive: when
> I was shipping a pair of -11/84's from California to Virginia, the shipping
> cost just about doubled when I had to switch from freight to 'white glove' for
> them. Hence my advice to palletize stuff, and send it freight (at least for
> cross-continent, where the difference really adds up).

These were on uShip where the carriers bid on your shipment so the
prices were really very reasonable compared to even regular LTL
shipping.

Todd