HP Draftmaster RX pen plotter needs love

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Nov 27 15:02:40 CST 2016

(Getting back to this after a couple days..)

The board photos help although not detailed enough for certainty in tracing.
I see the power supply test points on the photos and on the diagram 12-14 (page 12-28) of the manual.

Something to confirm: the -12V label is ambiguous in it's position on the board, do you know for sure you measured the right spot for -12V?
It looks like it would be the nice solder button to the left of the minus sign but from what I can discern it seems more likely to be the anode lead of the diode (CR2), right above the "2" in the "-12V" label.
The diagram 12-14 indicates the test point as the cathode (banded lead) of CR2, this is likely incorrect, if CR2 is the -12V rectifier the DC output would be the anode end. It looks likes the draftsman just copied the pattern for the +15V diode.

As you suggest, detailed assistance from a distance may be difficult, but you might check the above and see where things stand.
I'm not all that far away (Victoria area) but far enough to nonetheless be awkward for transport or trip.