Thinking about acquiring PDP stuff

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Nov 29 17:51:21 CST 2016

    > From: Brad H

    > I was thinking about trying to acquire something early 70s...

Anything DEC early 70's is going to be fairly expensive, alas. Only once one
gets to QBUS -11's does the price come down.

    > if it is feasible to buy in pieces .. but is dependent on parts
    > availability

I would not recommend this route. Those machines are a lot of bits and
pieces, and if you buy a few, unless you're incredibly lucky, it will take
forever for the rest of them to show up. There will be a few things that just
never show. (Even when buying a 'complete' system, one will often find that
it has been robbed of a few critical components, probably cannabilized to
keep another machine running BITD.)

There might be a rare exception (I see the guys in Mahwah selling a PDP-8
chassis, and also a front panel with switches, and it _might_ be possible to
round up all the boards - but that's more like the exception than the rule.)

	Noel