IBM 4331 [Was: MFM floppy and HD emulator DREM]

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Oct 17 18:20:28 CDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 3:29 PM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Guy Sotomayor Jr wrote:
>>> Oh and di
A friend @ UMSL worked when they had 2 4341s there.  All of the campus
workload had moved to UMC (Columbia) from St. Louis, so they were idle
for 2 or 3 years.  he had them as PC's  They were stacked on on top of
the other, but powered and running.

If one wanted the ideal small footprint setup, the best would be the
4361, 4320, and a 3370.  The 4361 was I think the only system with a
builtin storage director, and the 4320 could connect directly to a
channel w/o any controller.  The 3370 IIRC correctly was FBA, and I
think the controller was FBA (someone corrected me which one it was last
time this came up).

But any 43xx would be fun to work with.  I worked with a maintenance
group in the mid 80's and we got 3 or 4 of them scrap, and they all just
turned up and worked.  almost all the stuff that anyone had had running
worked if it was properly de-installed and move in my experience.  Might
have been unique, but very solid designs and good documents with that
hardware.

thanks
Jim