Unsticking a Seagate ST-419 head

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:42:20 CDT 2016

I've got several ST251-1s that spin up just fine, no funny noises, but then do a bunch of back-and-forth seeks and shut down again.

It's the usual, "they worked fine the last time;" any ideas what the problem is and if there's anything that can be done? Presumably it's having trouble finding the sync track; weak signal? Any ideas?