vt100 terminfo with padding for an actual vt100?

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:01:09 CDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > > Interesting. I've been trying to get a WiFi device for the Commodore
> > > 8-bits working consistently in 9600 bps mode, and have just been
> > > assuming the garbage characters I get when I receive a screenful of text
> > > all at once were due to buffer overruns. The garbage characters there
> > > look like actual garbage, not like partial CSIs like [3;1m or whatever.
> >
> > Unless you're using an ACIA cartridge, 9600bps on the C128 is problematic,
> > and impossible on the C64.
>
> Not quite; someone named Daniel Dallmann found a way to do it on the
> user port, on both 64 and 128 (in the 1990s, I think). It's commonly
> called "UP9600". I've only found one terminal program* so far that
> actually performs well and doesn't drop characters or bring up garbage
> ones, on the device I mentioned (I have never tried it with a proper
> modem).
>
> I'm not sure what's different about the CIAs in the 64 and 128

I see a few mentions online about the 128 supporting 9600 natively, but
no real details. Do you have any to share?

I wonder if it'd be worth turning off the device's UP9600 support and
seeing if the 128 will still talk 9600 to it. (If I do keep it on,
apparently the 128 will be able to do 19200 -- but I'm not holding my
breath, based on my experience with 9600.)

--
        Eric Christopherson