HP-35/45 Simulator for PDP-8

Klemens Krause krause at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Sep 8 08:30:45 CDT 2016

On Wed, 7 Sep 2016, Kyle Owen wrote:

> I updated the project to include optional OS/8 support. I won't say I've
> tested it extensively, but it does seem to be working as expected in SimH,
> anyways. I updated the README to reflect the additions.

I tried it out: I dowloaded the hp35only.pal-source, because it needs only
4K of memory, kermited it to my PDP8/E and succeeded assembling with PAL8
without modifying the PALBERT-code.
After starting it worked well. :-)

As I'm always looking for 4K-applications for our older machines,
I downloaded the .BN to our classic-8 and started it. It gave
"strange" output. :-(
A look in the source showd some BSWs, an operation that doesn't exist
on pre PDP8/E machines. I replaced the BSWs with "JMS BSWEMU", a short
subroutine to perform the byte-swap and now the hp35 runs on the
classic-8 with 4K of memory too. I also had to replace the MQLs with CLAs.

Next step is to modify the output, to run it with a teletype...

Klemens

--

klemens krause
Stuttgarter KompetenzZentrum fyr Minimal- & Retrocomputing.