G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Sep 13 14:43:24 CDT 2016

On 9/13/2016 10:00 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 9/13/16 9:53 AM, Ryan K. Brooks wrote:
>
>> See Also RedHat and CentOS.    No telnet, netstat, etc.
> csh
>
> though in the modern world I can see why clear text protocols
> aren't shipped out of the box
They can be added, and it was only after quite a long time of warning
that telnet was not a safe protocol as Al says that the steps were taken
to remove it.  And sshd is removed on a lot of distributions, so that
avenue of attack is not present out of the box.   It is secure over the
net, but if default passwords exist, and sshd is there, and not set up
to deny remote logins of certain id's you have as big a problem

Of course with the means to create a distro a week, you can create a
clone of any distribution with telnet and telnetd any time you like.

thanks
Jim