G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Tue Sep 13 17:08:08 CDT 2016

On 9/13/2016 2:55 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 09/13/2016 01:05 PM, Chris Hanson wrote:
>

>> Apple had a package available with SNA support in the late 1980s,
>> along with the NuBus token ring card. I think there was also a DECnet
>> package. And MacTCP was available early on, too.
> Does bisync and HASP, does it?
>
> --Chuck
Those would not have  been much use.  If they could do IND$FILE
uploading and downloading that was usually what a connected device
needed to do.  The bisync required either a dedicated comm program of
some sort, and HASP was usually a shared resource.

I don't think Apple though of much money to be made doing the server
type functions of either of those.

There is also the LU stuff that went on on SNA, which is a big steaming
pile, and very few ever got that to work other than  IBM. In the case
where I worked on a project with it, the IBM side was never made to work.

thanks
Jim