G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Tor Arntsen kspt.tor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 05:57:21 CDT 2016

On 15 September 2016 at 11:43, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 September 2016 at 09:30, Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A bit like not noticing
>> that the USB stick runs Linux.. which happens.
>
> Er. Explain? How can a dumb storage device run any OS?
>
> I have various bootable USB sticks around the place, all with Linux
> on, but they don't _run_ it. I won't touch the "smart Wifi enabled"
> ones.

Sorry, yes, not the dumbest mass-storage ones, but the slightly
smarter ones, e.g. wi-fi enabled sticks and SD cards. I have a couple
of those. On the other hand the electronics of even "simple" USB
gadgets is getting pretty sophisticated, and I wouldn't be at all
surprised if a mass-storage USB stick turns out to actually run an OS.