early networking (was Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...))

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:42:23 CDT 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 19:12, js at cimmeri.com <js at cimmeri.com> wrote:
> Cool.  I was a big fan of running Netware over Token Ring.   But remember
> eventually
> just getting crushed by cheap and easier to install ethernet.   One of my
> main clients at
> the time was on 4mb Token, and we were asked for a proposal to speed it up.
> 16mb Token Ring had just come out, and the per-card cost was very high.
> Another
> vendor proposed with 10mbit ethernet and stole the client... despite them
> having to
> ditch the expensive, genuine IBM 4mb Token setup (whose wiring could have
> still
> been used for 16mb) and rewire the place.   Still bugs me to this day, which
> is
> probably why I'm writing about it now.  :-)

I saw a few "BrokenString" deployments, but it always was very
expensive, relatively speaking, and except on very heavily-loaded
networks, it was slower, so even at the turn of the '90s, in my world,
it was being replaced by Ethernet unless IBM big iron connectivity was
required.

I've also, just the once, removed an ATM network adaptor from a
desktop PC. Never saw it in real life, but that client had just
returned from Singapore where their home broadband was delivered over
ATM.