HISTORY OF COMPUTER DESIGN: THE MOST INNOVATIVE AND UNCONVENTIONAL PCS EVER MADE

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Apr 3 15:09:02 CDT 2017

I'm sure that many (ARD?) are rolling their eyes at THAT concept of
"computer design".

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> This series of articles focuses mainly on physical design, of cases
> and so on, but there are some technical details in the articles too.

OK, they link that iMac to "Brionvega Algol Portable TV", but not ADM3a.

I remember when the SONY SMC? came out, being surprised at the use of
obviously Italian design for the case.  But then thinking that case design
was an option that was not closely tied to the engineering, and that we
would be likely to see cubes, pizza boxes, cylinders, etc.
The Cray couch was lovely.

I figured that there would be a lot of success at going after form factor
of a pad of paper, and screen and keyboard folding together, and much less
success (for a while longer) at building it into a pen (early attempts
would be too bulky and taint the idea).  And that someday we would see
truly insane/innovative/impractical ideas such spheres or as shaping like
a light bulb, or human head.
But, like telephones or TVs, design has settled into a few specific forms.

I was expecting more modular built into furniture designs.  Without a
modular form for easy replacement/upgrade, buying a desk with built-in
computer, or computer with built-in desk would be too much of a lock-in.
Closest that was successful has been desks with a keyboard shelf, and
printer cabinet.

When will 4x8 drywall substitution TV/monitors be around?  What used to be
called "mudding" for seamless joining of panels may be a bit more
difficult.
Howzbout a split keyboard built into the arms of my La-Z-Boy?

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com