IBM AS400 questions

devin davison lyokoboy0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:33:57 CDT 2017

Thanks for the info. I was worried that I needed special disks, these ones
are holding up for now.
my machine has a drive for 4/8gb tapes. I have never seen such a drive on a
machine till this one. I am used to DDS DLT and LTO tapes.

Unfortunately, what i thought was a nice new 4gb ibm branded tape sealed in
box turned out to be some kind of test tape. So that is no good for
backups. I bought a bunch of other sony tapes, but they are only 525mb.
Will those work in my drive as well?

As a last resort, i see a scsi connector on the back of the machine, can i
connect any old DDS or DLT tape drive, or do i need a specific drive meant
speciffically for the as400, like the hard drives?

What is the name of these tape cartriges, what should i look for so i can
but them online. Ive tried ebay / amazon with the term "QIC 4/8gb tape"
with few results aside from the drives.

--Devin