TRS-80 Model 12 versus 16B

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Tue Apr 25 22:46:44 CDT 2017

Jim, I'll have a 16B at VCF-SE this weekend. You take as close a look as
you want. It has a single slim 8" drive, an internal 15MB hard disk, and
an external 5 MB hard disk. It also has the 68K card stack with 768KB
RAM. I don't have a keyboard for it though. I bought a 16 keyboard
thinking it would work at the time; then hit the cabling problem.

Does anyone know if the 16 keyboard circuitry will work with a 16B if I
created a custom cable?

-Alan

On 2017-04-25 22:56, Peter Cetinski via cctalk wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:52 PM, Jim Brain <brain at jbrain.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, the 16B has the KB conn on the machine, but the KB?
>> And, the 16B has the Z80 motherboard, witht eh 68K in the cage?
>
> 16B keyboard is the same as the 12. Cord is on the KB with a male connector. Female is on the machine.
> 16B has the same main board as the 12 with 68K in the cage. Notice I use "main board" as technically the cage board was referred to as the motherboard in these machines.
>
> The 6000 released in 1985 was a slightly enhanced 16B with the biggest difference being the upgrade to an 8Mhz MC68000. This system allowed you to run XENIX 3.x and address up to 1MB of RAM. I thought the 16B could also do 1MB of RAM?

16B was factory maxed at 768k but I'm pretty sure 1MB is fine.

> Can the 6000 still run the Z80 Oses (like TRSDOS II and such)? (I assume so, since you noted that all units of this entire line used a Z80 for IO)

Yes, the 6000 can run all previous software.