PDP-8s that was EBAY.. what is the other rack? Thought TTY inf in main box?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Aug 9 02:54:13 CDT 2017

On 8/8/2017 9:35 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:

> 8 **S**  Arrgh!  The worst computer DEC ever made!  It was a real
> speed demon, when compared to computers with vacuum tubes and drum
> memory!
>
> Jon
The EE department had an 8S which I wish I could have gotten my hands on
(UMR).  I had both it and an 8I in the lab in the Materials Research
Center building and ran a number of programs on both which matched,
great run.

The 1949 rack under the 8S backplane is a tty controller, clock and
power supply with attendant hoses to the backplane above.

I think that may be what you were asking about.  I don't know much 8s
history, but unlike the 8L and 8I which came with the backplane wired
with a spot for the TTY, this may have been what you had to do to get a
TTY attached.  Or it may be an extra second device. Perhaps someone with
more familiarity with the 8S backplane and options might know.

thanks
Jim