Disk imaging with IMD - question

rich.cini at verizon.net rich.cini at verizon.net
Wed Aug 9 13:13:49 CDT 2017

Mike --

I gave Bill Degnan the backstory in another thread but in short, I'm working on restoring VCF's Seattle Gazelle. It uses a DSDD drive system, although the original drives are still at Infoage. I have the original Seattle disks. The system was shelved in the mid-1990's.

I have the system booting to the monitor (after performing all of the usual power supply work) but the main task is getting the disks imaged before getting everything booting using the original hardware.

I have a PC/AT with an Adaptec HD/floppy card that per Dave should work for all density combinations. It indeed passes with a Teac 1.2Mb drive.

So the plan is to connect an 8" drive to it and use it as an "imaging machine". So yes, to read and write 8" disks.

The MSDOS part was just a simple way to test that the controller and drive worked as expected before working on original Seattle disks that aren't replaceable. There is MS Pascal, Norton Utilities, SCP-DOS and two versions of MSDOS (1.25 and 2.0). There are also some disks that may have code/sources on them.

Rich

Sent from Verizon/AOL Mobile Mail