PDP-11/84 Bootstrap for TSV05 (Dilog DU142)

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Thu Aug 10 08:01:54 CDT 2017

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Ulrich Tagge via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I have some trouble to get the Bootstrap for an Dilog DU142 (TS11) Controller running on my PDP-11/84.
> The bootstrap on page 3-2 of the following documentation was used: http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dilog/2120-0090-1_DU142_Jul87.pdf
> That's, what I have saved to the 11/84 PROM:
>
> Type a command then press the RETURN key: 13
> Edit/create an EEPROM boot
> Type CTRL Z to exit or press the RETURN key for No change
> 1741 Bytes free in the EEPROM
> Device name             = MS            New =
> Beginning  address      = 001000        New =
> Last byte address       = 001120        New =
> Start address           = 001000        New =
> Highest Unit number     = 1             New =
> Device Description      = TSV05         New =
> Enter ROM ODT
>
> xxxxxx/ = open word location xxxxxx if address even, byte if odd
> RETURN  = close location
> . or LF = close location and open next
> -       = close location and open previous
>
> ROM ODT> 001000/012700
> ROM ODT> 001002/172520
> ROM ODT> 001004/012701
> ROM ODT> 001006/172522
> ROM ODT> 001010/005011
> ROM ODT> 001012/105711
> ROM ODT> 001014/100376
> ROM ODT> 001016/012710
> ROM ODT> 001020/001066
> ROM ODT> 001022/105711
> ROM ODT> 001024/100376
> ROM ODT> 001026/012710
> ROM ODT> 001030/001106
> ROM ODT> 001032/105711
> ROM ODT> 001034/100376
> ROM ODT> 001036/012710
> ROM ODT> 001040/001106
> ROM ODT> 001042/105711
> ROM ODT> 001044/100376
> ROM ODT> 001046/005711
> ROM ODT> 001050/100422
> ROM ODT> 001052/012704
> ROM ODT> 001054/001102
> ROM ODT> 001056/005000
> ROM ODT> 001060/005007
> ROM ODT> 001062/046523
> ROM ODT> 001064/140004
> ROM ODT> 001066/001074
> ROM ODT> 001070/000000
> ROM ODT> 001072/000010
> ROM ODT> 001074/001116
> ROM ODT> 001076/000000
> ROM ODT> 001100/000016
> ROM ODT> 001102/000000
> ROM ODT> 001104/140001
> ROM ODT> 001106/000000
> ROM ODT> 001110/000000
> ROM ODT> 001112/001000
> ROM ODT> 001114/000000
> ROM ODT> 001116/000000
>
> That's the outcome.
>
> Type a command then press the RETURN key: B MS0
> Trying MS0
> 001120
> @
>
> I have also tried the native TS11 bootstraps, but they are also not working, but this is more likely related to the Dilog.
> [...]

The first thing I would do is check the contents of 1000-1116 after the halt occurs
against the what you have in the eeprom.

1120 is not a location I would expect this to halt, so either there is a problem in
Do you see any tape motion?

For RT-11, you need to load device specific files at the beginning of the tape.
The tape primary and secondary bootstrap which load the monitor, need to be first.
The following (rough) example is for  MS:  @1600BPI and the RT11SJ monitor.

   Ini/Que/Vol/File:MBOT16.BOT MS:
   Cop MSBOOT.BOT MS:/Pos:-1
   Cop MDUP.MS    MS:/Pos:-1