C64's still managing building systems

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Dec 3 14:45:31 CST 2017

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017, drlegendre . via cctalk wrote:
> Something tells me there's more than a Commodore Amiga involved, here. This
> figure must include the radio hardware and controllers at each of the
> schools. The article goes on to say that a student at one of the high
> schools wrote the software that runs it all.. but it must also require some
> sort of controller / interface, so who supplied that (sans software)?
> Doesn't really make much sense, but then again, not a lot of reporting does.

First, the school board needs to go to Hawaii, Japan, France, Germany, and
Greece, in order to see how it is done there.
(In our commuter community college (adult enrichment, college
prep, basic and remedial skills, skill updating for local professionals,
job training for the digital sweatshop), the Chancellor took his large
"entourage" to China "to recruit students for the community college".
How many 18 year olds would relocate to a different continent for the sole
purpose of attending a local community college?

Then they need to hire a consultant to define the problem.

Then they need consultants to conduct studies.

Then they need to contract with systems analysis consulting companies to
prepare proposals of possible solutions.

Then they need engineering consultants to reject the current round of
proposals.

Then they need to see if IBM wants to design a dedicated system.  That may
require some more travel.

Then they need to fly in the superintendent's brother in law to check it
out.

Then, IFF there is any money left in the budget for the project, they can
hire a consultant to buy and set up an Arduino, or an old Amiga out of the
closet.

Yes, they do spend somewhat more than the direct hardware cost.