RX02 Difficulties

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 17:17:56 CST 2017

>>> In the photo, I think S1 is on and S2 is off. Check them with an
>>> ohmmeter if in doubt!
>>>
>>> -tony
>>
>> Yes - you are right. I switched them back to how they were when I got
>> the drive. I think one of the switches was half down because XXDP
>> actually does something now.
>>
>> Most of the tests now look something like this:
>>
>> CZRXFB0 DVC FTL ERR  00034 ON UNIT 00 TST 031 SUB 000 PC: 003476
>> SECTOR ADR - LGC TST
>>  SECTOR ADDRESS ERROR
>>       EXPECTED SECTOR=18.
>>         TARGET SECTOR=17.
>>
>> I suppose these should match?
>>
>> Starting to think I might need to confuse myself with my logic analyzer
>> and the RX02 control board.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron.
>
> To isolate the problem further, try to see if any of the errors follow
> the media  as you move them between drives.
>
> If the same errors occur on both drives, regardless of media then the
> RX02 system board or perhaps the Qbus controller are at fault.
> The field maintenance prints should allow you to trace the fault down
> a bit further,  with or w/o a logic analyzer.
>
> How many different types of errors do you see?
>
> Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry.

I get read errors, data errors, density errors, sector addressing
errors. Probably every kind of error xxdp can give :)

Please see this link if you are interested:

https://aaronsplace.co.uk/private/o/48859c14f6a619a5316d6af37d60579c.txt

I will take a proper look through the field manuals tomorrow, and also
try what you suggested with trying the same media in both drives.

Thanks,
Aaron.