Types of corrosion on computers

Santo Nucifora santo.nucifora at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 17:36:43 CST 2017

I've seen this a few times.  I never knew exactly what it was but it
usually comes off but there is staining left over.  Here are a couple of
explanations from Google.

*White rust* is a *white* powdery deposit formed from a natural *corrosion*
process that can occur on any new zinc coated steel product. It is damaging
to the appearance of the steel, not to mention to the anti-*corrosion*
layer of zinc that protects the body of the steel.

Galvanized *metals* also *rust*, but they do so at a slow rate unless the
galvanized coating has been damaged. Brass, silver, and bronze tarnish as
they interact with the atmosphere. Aluminum oxidizes into a *white powder*,
although the *powder* binds chemically to the *metal* beneath, blocking
further *corrosion*.