Dec-10 Day announcement from Living Computers: Museum + Labs

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Dec 11 12:50:34 CST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 08:59:46AM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:

> > I am and possibly the Update computer club and some of it's members.
> > However, I have very little experience with making hardware. How would
> > we aproach this?
>
> There are plenty of companies in the "prototype production" business; they will make either blank printed circuit boards, or assembled boards, in small quantities.  For our purposes a group build probably counts as "small quantity".  One I can think of (and have used for blank PCBs) is PCB Pool.
>
> Depending on the parts involved and the skill level of the consumers, it may be reasonable to get blank boards and a parts bag and have the user assemble it -- or it may be better to let professionals do the assembly.

I'm quite confident with a soldering iron when it comes to through hole
components. I haven't looked at the BOM for this project yet but I guess
there are surface mount components.

Perhaps an opportunity to learn.

/P