RL02 weirdness

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun Dec 17 13:32:51 CST 2017

On 12/17/17 9:04 AM, Aaron Jackson via cctalk wrote:
> I unloaded very quickly but I think the damage is done.

I KNOW the damage is done.

NEVER attempt to load a pack if you haven't inspected it AND the heads first.

Was this combination ever known to work?

You now need to throw that pack out, and thoroughly inspect and clean the heads
and any pack to attempt to use in the future.

You also need to inspect the filter, purge the air filtration system if you haven't done that already
along with cleaning the filtered air path in the drive
and run the spindle for a while before attempting to load the heads again.

> Why would the heads be installed this way? and why did it destroy my
> platter when they are connected "correctly"?

The only thing that comes to mind is the servo system is going to be extremely
confused with the embedded servo information coming in the reverse direction.