Computing from 1976

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Dec 30 19:43:34 CST 2017

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017, ben via cctalk wrote:
> I find I want use computers less , 5+ minutes to boot something that then
> needs to check the net. I use a all valve audio system and tubes are warmed
> up and ready to go before my music app exits the splash screen.

The "modern" computer is much faster, but it takes forever and a half
before it is ready to use that speed.

Why did anybody ever need more than 64K?
And, ten times that much seemed like it oughta be enough for a long time.

> The real problem back the, was the lack of REAL disk I/O, with the high price
> of 8 inch floppy drives and media.

They sure did cost a LOT.

And, I remember it being thousands of dollars for a 5 or 10 MB hard disk.