Restoring MTS *FS distribution tapes onto a UNIX system

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Dec 30 20:28:04 CST 2017

The answer to my previous question lives in the source code.  The D6.0A MTS distribution doesn't have the source on disk, so the files need to be extracted from the *FS tapes.  On an MTS system, that's a pain in the ass.

Given the DRIVER file from the distribution, has anyone tried extracting the 6.0A distribution tapes into UNIX file hierarchy, based on the hinted component/sub names?  I'm thinking just the raw files - I don't care that they're EBCDIC at this point, so no content conversion required.

--lyndon